Fluence appoints new CEO with ‘expansion, maturation’ in mind

April 24, 2020
LinkedIn
Twitter
Reddit
Facebook
Email
Fluence’s grid-scale project in Kilathmoy, Ireland, completed near the beginning of this year for Statkraft. Image: Fluence.

Stephen Coughlin, CEO of Fluence since the energy storage technology provider jointly owned by AES and Siemens was launched in 2018 will step down at the beginning of May.

Fluence representatives emailed Energy-Storage.news yesterday with the announcement that Coughlin will make way for new CEO Manuel Perez Dubuc, who has been on the company’s Board of Directors himself since 2018.

Fluence said this existing relationship between Dubuc and Coughlin, as well as with parent company board members “ensures a smooth transition” for the technology provider, which officially launched in January 2018 after starting up mid-2017 with an initial 485MW project pipeline and now has 1.7GW in delivered and awarded projects in 21 different countries.

“The stakes are incredibly high to transform the way we power our world, adding more renewables together with energy storage to provide clean generation, flexibility and resilience to power networks everywhere,” Dubuc said.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

“This is a pivotal time for Fluence, our customers and the future of our industry,” Dubuc, whose most recent roles include positions on the Board of Directors at AES developer subsidiaries AES Distributed Energy and SPower.

Outgoing CEO Stephen Coughling described his successor as “a brilliant leader with deep experience running high-growth businesses and developing strong partnerships in the energy industry in nearly every global region”.

“He is also a progressive and pioneering executive with a track record of designing and executing ambitious plans to drive the global transition to clean, sustainable, and flexible energy infrastructure,” Coughlin said, adding that Dubuc had been “selected to execute on the expansion and maturation of the company”.

Read Next

November 24, 2025
Developer Akaysha Energy has confirmed that the 850MW Waratah Super Battery will undergo a planned balance of plant shutdown from 20 November to 2 December 2025.
November 21, 2025
In a major week for European BESS deal-making, project acquisition and financing deals have been done in the Poland, Germany, Finland, the UK and Romania for grid-scale projects totalling well over 1GW of capacity.
November 13, 2025
The three-year rolling partnership, whereby CATL will supply HyperStrong with cells and system products, could be updated annually.
November 12, 2025
Three large-scale BESS with a combined capacity of 720MW have been submitted for federal assessment under Australia’s EPBC Act.
October 30, 2025
Victoria’s home battery energy storage programme has supported the installation of approximately 20,000 residential energy storage systems, doubling its original target of 10,000 units, according to the state’s climate action minister, Lily D’Ambrosio.