Form Energy closes US$40 million funding round for its long-duration storage

By John Parnell
LinkedIn
Twitter
Reddit
Facebook
Email

Form Energy has closed a US$40 million Series B funding round led by Eni Next, the venture capital vehicle of Italian oil firm Eni.

Several Series A investors have returned, including Breakthrough Energy Ventures (BEV), the coalition of investors that includes Bill Gates, Jack Ma and Richard Branson. Prelude Ventures, MIT’s The Engine and Macquarie Capital were among those to back both rounds as well.

Capricorn Investment Group was another standout new investor.

The fresh funding will be used to create a megawatt-scale prototype.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Enjoy 12 months of exclusive analysis

Not ready to commit yet?
  • Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
  • In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
  • Annual digital subscription to the PV Tech Power journal
  • Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual

Or continue reading this article for free

Form Energy, whose origins are in MIT, is developing a low-cost, long-duration battery storage system. More precise details on the technology are few and far between. Marco Ferrara, co-founder of Form Energy has previously said that the system will be capable of several days’ worth of discharge.

Speaking with the Enel Foundation, which has supported the company, Ferrara said: “We are developing meaningful scale prototypes and testing the technology in our labs. At the same time, we are working with Enel and Enel Green Power in understanding the value of this technology. In two or three years, we will be ready to deploy the first pilot projects in the field.”

11 November 2025
San Diego, USA
The 2024 Summit included innovative new features including a ‘Crash Course in Battery Asset Management’, Ask-Me-Anything formats and debate-style sessions. You can expect to meet and network with all the key industry players again in 2025 from major US asset owners, operators, RTOs and ISOs, optimizers, software and analytics providers, technical consultancies, O&M technology providers and more.

Read Next

August 29, 2025
The Australian government has opened two CIS tenders in Western Australia, targeting 2.4GWh of energy storage and 1.6GW of renewables.
August 29, 2025
Potentia Energy, a joint venture co-owned by Enel Green Power and INPEX, has secured the first environmental approval for a grid-scale battery energy storage system (BESS) under South Australia’s new Hydrogen and Renewable Energy (HRE) Act.
August 29, 2025
French independent power producer (IPP) Neoen, which is now fully owned by Canadian investment firm Brookfield, has switched on the second phase of its 560MW/2,240MWh Collie BESS in Western Australia.
Premium
August 28, 2025
Energy-Storage.news Premium speaks with Sergio Melendez, storage sector manager at CAISO, and Ali Karimian, market optimisation director at GridBeyond, about regulating Bid Cost Recovery Payments in the California Independent System Operator market.
August 28, 2025
California utility Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) has pushed back recommissioning of the Elkhorn battery energy storage system (BESS) by approximately one year, to 30 June 2026.

Most Popular

Email Newsletter