D.E. Shaw starts building solar-plus-storage project with 100MW BESS in New Mexico

By JP Casey
LinkedIn
Twitter
Reddit
Facebook
Email

US developer D. E. Shaw has broken ground on a 200MW solar, 100MW battery storage project in New Mexico, set to come online in 2024.

D.E. Shaw Renewable Investments (DESRI) announced the close of financing and start of construction on its 200MWac San Juan solar and storage project this week (11 July).

This phase of the project, dubbed “San Juan 1” by DESRI, consists of the solar farm, alongside a 100MWac battery storage facility, all of which DESRI expects to come online in mid-2024.

The company announced that it had reached financial close for this phase, paving the way for construction to begin, and added that the later phases of construction will bring the total capacity of the San Juan project up to 400MWac, which would make the project the company’s largest by capacity.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Enjoy 12 months of exclusive analysis

Not ready to commit yet?
  • Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
  • In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
  • Annual digital subscription to the PV Tech Power journal
  • Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual

Or continue reading this article for free

The project is also notable as it looks to replace the capacity of the San Juan Generating Station, a coal-fired power plant in the region that was decommissioned by its owner, the Public Service Company of New Mexico (PNM), last year.

While the coal plant boasted a larger total capacity than DESRI’s San Juan project, with a nameplate capacity of 1.8GW, its final operating unit had a capacity of around 555MW, so its replacement with the San Juan project will only lower the region’s total power capacity by around 150MW. DESRI, and others in the solar sector, will be optimistic that this slight reduction in total capacity is justified by the transition from coal to a renewable power source.

“As a capacity replacement for a retired coal generator, the project is an important part of New Mexico’s transition to state of the art, cost-effective renewable energy, firmed by battery storage,” said DESRI chief commercial officer Thomas de Swardt. “We deeply appreciate the partnership of PNM, San Juan County, the San Juan Citizen’s Alliance, the project’s lenders and numerous other stakeholders and supporters in the community in achieving this milestone.”

The company is developing several large solar-plus-storage projects across the US covered by Energy-Storage.news, including a larger project with a 600MWh BESS in New Mexico, and a 400MWh one in California.

See the original version of this article on PV Tech.

Read Next

August 29, 2025
The Australian government has opened two CIS tenders in Western Australia, targeting 2.4GWh of energy storage and 1.6GW of renewables.
Premium
August 28, 2025
Energy-Storage.news Premium speaks with Sergio Melendez, storage sector manager at CAISO, and Ali Karimian, market optimisation director at GridBeyond, about regulating Bid Cost Recovery Payments in the California Independent System Operator market.
August 28, 2025
California utility Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) has pushed back recommissioning of the Elkhorn battery energy storage system (BESS) by approximately one year, to 30 June 2026.
August 27, 2025
Three companies, Pacifico Energy, Zenith Volts, and Fermi America have begun expanding power generation and energy storage capabilities for US data centre development.
August 27, 2025
“Battery energy storage systems (BESS) typically change ownership between two and four times during their 40-year lifecycle,” John Sheehy, CEO of Pottinger, said on day two of the Battery Asset Management Summit Australia 2025 this morning.

Most Popular

Email Newsletter