Huawei signs 1,300MWh solar-charged battery contract for Saudi Arabia’s Red Sea Project

LinkedIn
Twitter
Reddit
Facebook
Email
SEPCO III and Huawei Digital Power signed the contract at Huawei’s Dubai summit last week. Image: Huawei.

Huawei Digital Power has said it will supply battery energy storage system (BESS) technology to what is thought to be the world’s largest off-grid energy storage project to date. 

The company will provide a 1,300MWh BESS to the Red Sea Project, a huge resort under construction on the Saudi Arabian coast, Huawei said during its corporate Global Digital Power Summit 2021 held last week in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

During the event, Huawei Digital Power signed a “key contract” with engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) company SEPCO III for the project, which will also include 400MW of solar PV. The project’s developer is ACWA Power, which is behind many of the Middle East region’s larger renewable energy projects. 

The Red Sea Project forms part of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s national Saudi Vision 2030 strategy of leveraging the country’s strengths and historical significance to boost quality of life and grow and diversify the economy. 

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Enjoy 12 months of exclusive analysis

Not ready to commit yet?
  • Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
  • In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
  • Annual digital subscription to the PV Tech Power journal
  • Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual

Or continue reading this article for free

In November 2020, Energy-Storage.news reported that the project would use at least 1,000MWh of battery storage to contribute to powering the resorts fully with renewable energy. The consortium behind it, The Red Sea Development Company, told this site it will use a combination of wind and solar, stored and stabilised with the help of batteries. 

Also in development through Saudi Vision 2030 is NEOM, an entirely new-build city further north along the Red Sea coast, which again is planned to be powered sustainably with 100% renewable energy, including solar desalination plants and large-scale green hydrogen. 

Read Next

August 27, 2025
Hithium will supply two projects in Saudi Arabia with ‘the world’s first mass-produced kiloampere-hour (kAh) cells’.
August 20, 2025
Now is the moment for long-duration energy storage to become a key pillar of the energy transition, writes LDES Council CEO Julia Souder.
August 19, 2025
AGL Energy has deployed approximately AU$900 million toward BESS and renewables in Australia during the fiscal year ending June 2025.
August 13, 2025
Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), the main electricity company in Sri Lanka, has issued an RFP for large-scale BESS.
August 12, 2025
Wood Mackenzie’s BESS supply rankings list shows ‘intensifying regional competition and shifting dynamics’ as Tesla remains number one.

Most Popular

Email Newsletter