Australia uplifts Capacity Investment Scheme target to 40GW of renewables and energy storage

July 30, 2025
LinkedIn
Twitter
Reddit
Facebook
Email

Australia’s minister for climate change and energy, Chris Bowen, has confirmed that the Capacity Investment Scheme (CIS) will be upsized from 32GW to 40GW.

As confirmed yesterday (29 July) during a speech to the Investor Group in Canberra, the 40GW figure relates to the initiative’s 2030 target and aims to help the country secure its 82% renewables target.

Specifically, the 8GW capacity uplift aims to incentivise investment in projects to deliver an additional 5GW of storage and 3GW of generation by 2030. The competitive nature of the tenders and falling solar costs helped boost CIS generation by 3GW. 

The uplift is expected to support investments of around AU$21 billion (US$13.68 billion) in energy storage capacity and nearly AU$52 billion in solar and wind generation technologies.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

“Our energy grid’s transition remains urgent. As our ageing coal-fired power stations only become more expensive and more unreliable, we need a new generation now,” Bowen said, announcing the increased CIS target.

“It remains the case that to rebuild Australia’s energy grid into a modern, reliable, and fairer system, we need to get renewables and storage online faster.

“In three short years we have seen CIS unlock record levels of investment in Australia’s energy grid and get us on track to reach 82% renewable energy by 2030.”

Various members of the energy industry have reacted to the Australian government’s increase in the CIS target.

Matthew Brine, head of office, Office of the Capacity Investment Scheme at the DCCEEW, welcomed the uplift at the Australian Clean Energy Summit, stating that it should help underwrite 18GW of renewables and energy storage at the end of the four newly announced tenders.

CIS Tender 3 receives 135GWh of bids

Earlier this month, the Australian government announced four new tenders for the National Electricity Market (NEM) and Western Australia’s Wholesale Electricity Market (WEM), alongside plans to streamline the scheme to a one-stage process.

Since its introduction, the CIS has spearheaded the growth of Australia’s renewable energy generation and energy storage fleet. Several of these tenders, both at a national and state level, have been oversubscribed.

Indeed, our sister site PV Tech reported last year that the first auction of the CIS attracted interest from more than 40GW of solar and wind projects in New South Wales.

27GW of these projects were deemed as “very high quality” bids going through to the next stage. This oversubscription, which has been witnessed in other more recent tenders, was noted as a reason why the Australian government has increased the CIS target.

Bowen said in his speech to the Investor Group that the latest dispatchable tender round in New South Wales (Tender 3) received 135GWh of bids compared to the 16GWh target.

Our publisher, Solar Media, will host the Battery Asset Management Summit Australia 2025 on 26-27 August in Sydney. You can get 20% off your ticket using the code ESN20 at checkout.

17 March 2026
Sydney, Australia
As we move into 2026, Australia is seeing real movement in emerging as a global ‘green’ superpower, with energy storage at the heart of this. This Summit will explore in-depth the ‘exponential growth of a unique market’, providing a meeting place for investors and developers’ appetite to do business. The second edition will shine a greater spotlight on behind-the-meter developments, with the distribution network being responsible for a large capacity of total energy storage in Australia. Understanding connection issues, the urgency of transitioning to net zero, optimal financial structures, and the industry developments in 2026 and beyond.
15 September 2026
San Diego, USA
You can expect to meet and network with all the key industry players again in 2025 from major US asset owners, operators, RTOs and ISOs, optimizers, software and analytics providers, technical consultancies, O&M technology providers and more.
6 October 2026
Warsaw, Poland
The Energy Storage Summit Central Eastern Europe is set to return in September 2025 for its third edition, focusing on regional markets and the unique opportunities they present. This event will bring together key stakeholders from across the region to explore the latest trends in energy storage, with a focus on the increasing integration of energy storage into regional grids, evolving government policies, and the growing need for energy security.

Read Next

February 20, 2026
Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners has submitted the 780MW second stage of its Supernode BESS to Australia’s EPBC Act process for review.
February 19, 2026
New South Wales (NSW) energy minister Penny Sharpe has directed ASL to deliver a firming capacity tender addressing forecast energy shortfalls from 2033-34.
Premium
February 19, 2026
“Australia remains a multi-gigawatt proving ground for utility-scale energy storage systems,” says Kashish Shah of Wärtsilä Energy Storage.
February 18, 2026
Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners has commenced commercial operations for the 619MWh Stage One of its Supernode battery energy storage system (BESS) project, located at the South Pine substation in Queensland, Australia.
February 18, 2026
Australia’s Clean Energy Council has said that 2025 saw as many battery energy storage systems commissioned as in the last 8 years combined.