SPAC firms: Stem Inc CEO steps down, Energy Vault warned over share price

LinkedIn
Twitter
Reddit
Facebook
Email

Stem Inc has seen its CEO step down while Energy Vault has been warned by the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) over its low share price, in a double helping of unfortunate announcements from special purpose acquisition company (SPAC)-listed energy storage firms.

Battery energy storage system (BESS) project integrator Stem Inc CEO John Carrington has stepped down with immediate effect, the company said on Monday (16 September), though will continue to serve in an advisory capacity until the end of 2024. A search is underway for a permanent replacement with the chair of the board David Buzby hired as interim CEO.

The company is still undergoing a strategic review, launched when its Q2 results included falling sales, bookings and a 40% loss in share price. The NYSE then warned the company around a month ago that its share price traded under US$1.00 for 30 consecutive days, the minimum average closing price needed to continue as a listed firm.

Energy Vault, a company known for its gravity energy storage technology but that has recently expanded into BESS too, received the same notification from the NYSE last week, it said (on 13 September). The company’s recent results were also badly received by the market, with a significant drop in sales and a reduction in its 2024 guidance.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Enjoy 12 months of exclusive analysis

Not ready to commit yet?
  • Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
  • In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
  • Annual digital subscription to the PV Tech Power journal
  • Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual

Or continue reading this article for free

The two companies were part of a wave of energy storage technology firms to have gone public via SPAC transactions in the years in 2020-2023. However, as Energy-Storage.news explored in a Premium article last August, they, along with Eos and ESS Inc, have severely underperformed against expectations since going public.

Read Next

Premium
August 28, 2025
Energy-Storage.news Premium speaks with Sergio Melendez, storage sector manager at CAISO, and Ali Karimian, market optimisation director at GridBeyond, about regulating Bid Cost Recovery Payments in the California Independent System Operator market.
August 28, 2025
California utility Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) has pushed back recommissioning of the Elkhorn battery energy storage system (BESS) by approximately one year, to 30 June 2026.
August 27, 2025
Three companies, Pacifico Energy, Zenith Volts, and Fermi America have begun expanding power generation and energy storage capabilities for US data centre development.
August 27, 2025
Chinese solar PV inverter and energy storage provider Sungrow has announced two major developments: plans for a Hong Kong IPO and the release of its half-year 2025 interim report.
August 26, 2025
Governor of New Jersey, US, Phil Murphy, signed legislation into law to reach 2,000MW of energy storage capacity by 2030, and nearly doubling the state’s clean energy capacity.

Most Popular

Email Newsletter