Exclusive: Portugal to hold 50-100MW energy storage auction in 2020

LinkedIn
Twitter
Reddit
Facebook
Email
Galamba:

Portugal is to kickstart its energy storage sector by arranging its first ever dedicated auction next year, Energy-Storage.news can reveal.

João Galamba, secretary of state of energy, told this publication of plans to put forward 50-100MW worth of capacity for dispatchable renewables in 2020, at a date that has yet to be decided.

“We want to keep it fully open, attract the best, most innovative technologies,” said Galamba, who replaced predecessor Jorge Seguro Sanchez in October 2018.

“It could be batteries, it could be anything else, as long as it’s renewable and dispatchable – we will let the market decide what the best solution is,” he added.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

His statement follows recent calls by experts for Portugal to “urgently” move towards storage technologies, to help manage the annual 800–1,200GWh surplus in renewable production expected by 2020; power-to-gas options are seen by researchers as particularly promising.

PV auctions of 1.35GW (2019) and 700MW (early 2020)

The energy storage drive comes as the socialist government of prime minister Costa works to deliver a boom of PV solar, whose contribution last year (1.5% of national power use) was far outstripped by wind (23%).

Two PV-specific auctions this year and next will lay the foundations for Portugal’s roadmap, which requires boosting PV capacity from 572MW in 2018 to 1.6GW by 2021 and 8.1GW-9.9GW by 2030.

Further details on the terms and time frames of the PV auctions, as revealed by the secretary of state, can be found on Energy-Storage.news’ sister site PV Tech.

6 October 2026
Warsaw, Poland
The Energy Storage Summit Central Eastern Europe is set to return in September 2025 for its third edition, focusing on regional markets and the unique opportunities they present. This event will bring together key stakeholders from across the region to explore the latest trends in energy storage, with a focus on the increasing integration of energy storage into regional grids, evolving government policies, and the growing need for energy security.

Read Next

May 22, 2026
Battery storage developer and operator Spearmint Energy has closed a US$450 million financing to support its 300MW/600MWh Red Egret battery energy storage system (BESS) project.
Premium
May 21, 2026
At a recent industry event hosted by market research firm Wood Mackenzie, energy storage experts discussed their approaches to public engagement, especially around addressing fire and other safety concerns.
May 21, 2026
In this US news roundup, OCI Energy, MN8 Energy, GridStor, and Grenergy advance battery energy storage system (BESS) projects in Texas, California, Colorado, and Georgia.
May 21, 2026
The UK’s NESO has cleared 150GW of BESS from its grid connection queues, according to figures from BloombergNEF.
May 21, 2026
Singapore-based Equis has launched GreenPoint Energy, a wholly owned subsidiary consolidating its Australian renewable energy and battery storage operations under a dedicated platform with a 2.5GW portfolio of 12 battery energy storage systems (BESS) and wind projects across every National Energy Market (NEM)-connected state.