US battery storage developer Key Capture Energy’s takeover by SK E&S complete

LinkedIn
Twitter
Reddit
Facebook
Email
New York Congressman Paul Tonko visting one of Key Capture Energy’s projects in the state in 2019. Image: Key Capture Energy.

South Korean energy company SK E&S is now the new owner of US utility-scale energy storage developer, owner and operator Key Capture Energy. 

Key Capture Energy (KCE) said yesterday that the deal has been closed, with three members of SK E&S’ executive team joining its board of directors. KCE said the guidance and counsel of the trio, including SK E&S vice chairman and CEO Jeong Joon Yu, would be “tremendously helpful” as the developer embarked on a growth strategy over the coming years. 

Financial terms have not been disclosed. However, as reported by Energy-Storage.news in September when the planned transaction was announced, SK E&S has said that it intends to invest over a billion dollars into KCE

SK E&S is an affiliate of major Korean conglomerate SK Group. It is involved in the energy business in segments spanning thermal fossil fuel generation to renewables and hydrogen. It already operates around 700MWh in South Korea and US markets, although its primary focus thus far in the US had been in the residential and commercial and industrial (C&I) energy storage space. 

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

Its investment into KCE, which operates like an independent power producer (IPP), identifying pockets of opportunity in hot or upcoming markets in the US from New York and Texas to the MISO wholesale market, will give the South Korean company a platform to access the US market further. 

KCE has 274MW of standalone energy storage projects in construction or already in operation and a development pipeline of 3,000MW, around a third of which is in New York, where the company just completed work on a 20MW / 40MWh project. 

In a recent interview with Energy-Storage.news, KCE CEO Jeff Bishop talked about how in addition to developing and constructing projects, the company optimises the operation and market interaction of its battery storage assets using proprietary algorithms — forecasting “macro supply and demand on the grid subject to power flow constraints on a rolling basis and optimise our projects accordingly, responding to price signals that tell us what the grid needs most”.

Read Next

May 22, 2026
Battery storage developer and operator Spearmint Energy has closed a US$450 million financing to support its 300MW/600MWh Red Egret battery energy storage system (BESS) project.
May 22, 2026
Long-duration energy storage (LDES) development and investment company Frontier Power USA (FPUSA) has acquired a 480MWh battery energy storage system (BESS) portfolio from developer-operator Bimergen Energy.
Premium
May 22, 2026
The situation and uncertainty around grid connections and grid fees in Germany is evolving, possibly enabling market participants to look beyond the August 2029 grid fee exemption cut-off date – although uncertainty is still very high.
May 21, 2026
In this US news roundup, OCI Energy, MN8 Energy, GridStor, and Grenergy advance battery energy storage system (BESS) projects in Texas, California, Colorado, and Georgia.
May 21, 2026
Singapore-based Equis has launched GreenPoint Energy, a wholly owned subsidiary consolidating its Australian renewable energy and battery storage operations under a dedicated platform with a 2.5GW portfolio of 12 battery energy storage systems (BESS) and wind projects across every National Energy Market (NEM)-connected state.