The Energy Storage Report 2024

Now available to download, covering deployments, technology, policy and finance in the energy storage market

TotalEnergies turns on solar-plus-storage project in Texas with 255MWh BESS

LinkedIn
Twitter
Reddit
Facebook
Email

Oil and gas major TotalEnergies has put a 380MW solar PV, 255MWh battery storage project into commercial operation in the ERCOT, Texas market.

Located south of Houston, Myrtle Solar is co-located with 225MWh of energy storage systems (ESS) supplied by affiliate entity Saft, and includes 705,000 solar panels.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Enjoy 12 months of exclusive analysis

  • Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
  • In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
  • Annual digital subscription to the PV Tech Power journal
  • Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual

Or continue reading this article for free

Most of the capacity of the plant, 70%, will be supplied to the company’s own industrial plants in the US Golf Coast region, while the remaining 30% will be supplied to real estate firm Kilroy Realty under a 15-year corporate power purchase agreement (cPPA) indexed on merchant prices.

Interest in Texas keeps increasing, both at a downstream and upstream level, with the US state second to California in terms of installed solar capacity, but is expected to add the most solar PV in the coming five years, with more than 40GW, according to trade association Solar Energy Industries Association.

In order to achieve this, Texas will need to invest in upgrading its transmission grid if it wants to avoid any curtailment across the state as projections expect Texas to more than double its solar and wind capacity by 2035.

TotalEnergies is currently developing a 720MW solar farm in the state, for which it recently secured a PPA with French building materials manufacturer Saint-Gobin for 100MW of the plant’s capacity.

To see the full version of this article go to PV Tech.

22 October 2024
New York, USA
Returning for its 11th edition, Solar and Storage Finance USA Summit remains the annual event where decision-makers at the forefront of solar and storage projects across the United States and capital converge. Featuring the most active solar and storage transactors, join us for a packed two-days of deal-making, learning and networking.
18 March 2025
Austin, Texas
The Energy Storage Summit USA is the only place where you are guaranteed to meet all the most important investors, developers, IPPs, RTOs and ISOs, policymakers, utilities, energy buyers, service providers, consultancies and technology providers in one room, to ensure that your deals get done as efficiently as possible. Book your ticket today to join us in 2025!

Read Next

July 19, 2024
Project owners Quinbrook and Primergy have put their 1.4GWh Gemini solar-plus-storage project in Nevada online, claiming it is the largest such project in the US.
July 19, 2024
Tesla has agreed to supply US solar PV and energy storage developer Intersect Power with 15.3GWh of its Megapack battery storage solution.
July 18, 2024
US solar PV and energy storage project developer Intersect Power has closed two financing deals worth US$837 million for three battery energy storage system (BESS) projects.
July 18, 2024
The Spanish government has progressed plans to launch a competitive auction for renewable generation and energy storage in two regions where coal plants have been retired, totalling 829MW of capacity.
July 17, 2024
Hithium has become the latest overseas player to seek to onshore production of battery energy storage system (BESS) equipment and components in the US.

Most Popular

Email Newsletter