Tesla/SolarCity merger gets go ahead

LinkedIn
Twitter
Reddit
Facebook
Email

According to Tesla, 85% of the voting shares backed the plan. Credit: Tesla
The merger between Tesla and SolarCity has been approved by shareholders.

According to Tesla, 85% of the voting shares backed the plan.

The US$2.6 billion deal has received mixed reviews from analysts since it was first announced in July.

The combined Tesla and SolarCity will deliver Elon Musk’s vision for a world-first opportunity to “generate, store and consume energy sustainably, through a suite of integrated products that add aesthetics and function while reducing cost,” according to a company blog.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

“By leveraging SolarCity’s installation network and Tesla’s global retail footprint, we can do this in a way that is seamless for our customers and that we expect will create significant value for our shareholders,” it continued.

The deal could “substantially” increase SolarCity’s sales, reckons industry veteran Jigar Shah, clean energy entrepreneur and the founder of SunEdison told Energy-Storage.News sister site PV Tech in August.

“SolarCity’s total sales of solar systems were around 100,000 last year; Tesla is sitting on around 300,000 pre-orders for the Model 3. So there is a real opportunity for SolarCity to substantially increase sales by selling into the Tesla base. It works the other way too – a lot of people buying SolarCity systems could go out and buy Tesla cars,” said Shah.

Julian Jansen, analyst and energy storage research manager at Delta Energy & Environment (Delta EE), told Energy-Storage.News the deal would create an “Uber” of energy.

“As such they would truly be an integrated sustainable energy company, which does not own any centralised generation assets – i.e. connecting distributed generation with local consumption and energy storage. Thus in a sense being the intermediary, like an Uber or AirBnB – who do not own assets – in the energy sector,” he said.

15 September 2026
San Diego, USA
You can expect to meet and network with all the key industry players again in 2025 from major US asset owners, operators, RTOs and ISOs, optimizers, software and analytics providers, technical consultancies, O&M technology providers and more.

Read Next

May 20, 2026
Independent power producer (IPP) Sunraycer Renewables has closed a US$901 million project financing facility, supporting three solar-plus-storage projects in Texas, US.
Premium
May 20, 2026
Energy-Storage.news speaks with Moment Energy’s CTO and co-founder Gabriel Soares, and VP of business development, Carl Mansfield, about recent updates from the second life battery company.
May 19, 2026
Ford Energy, the wholly owned subsidiary of Ford Motor Company and developer EDF power solutions North America have announced a five-year battery energy storage system (BESS) supply agreement.
May 18, 2026
Two battery energy storage system (BESS) companies, Eos Energy and ESS Tech Inc, are betting big on the US adoption of long-duration energy storage (LDES) in Q1 2026 financial reports.
May 15, 2026
Spanish developer and independent power producer (IPP) Zelestra has energised its 1GWh battery energy storage system (BESS) in the Atacama Desert in Chile.