Croatia allocating €500 million for BESS – report

April 23, 2024
LinkedIn
Twitter
Reddit
Facebook
Email

Croatia will provide some €500 million (US$534 million) in subsidies for battery energy storage system (BESS) technology, a government minister has said.

Minister of Economy and Sustainable Development Damir Habijan revealed the funding, part of a larger €1.6 billion for energy projects, at the JANAF conference in Zagreb earlier this month, according to state-owned news agency Zelena Hrvatska. The JANAF event covers the JANAF oil pipeline and storage system which spans Croatia.

The bulk of that funding will go towards liquified natural gas (LNG) pipelines and infrastructure but €500 million will go to large BESS units, Habijan said.

“All electricity producers who will not immediately release the electricity produced from renewable sources into the network will have such large storage tanks ready for batteries,” he said.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

The funding will come from Croatia’s share of the European Union-wide Recovery and Resilience scheme aimed at mitigating the negative economic effects of the Covid-19 pandemic. Similar grant schemes for BESS have used that funding in Spain, RomaniaFinland and Greece to name a few.

The minister didn’t give more details about what kind of funding scheme the €500 million would be nor when it would come into effect in remarks reported by the state news agency. However, most other schemes using Recovery and Resilience funding have been via a mix of capex and opex grants per MW of construction, with an auction to decide which projects receive the funding.

Companies active in the Croatian energy storage market include developer-IPPs NGEN and Woodburn Capital while the country is also notable for being the home of Rimac Group, the EV technology firm which last year launched its first BESS product, the Sinestack.

Energy-Storage.news’ publisher Solar Media will host the 2nd Energy Storage Summit Central Eastern Europe on 24-25 September this year in Warsaw, Poland. This event will bring together the region’s leading investors, policymakers, developers, utilities, energy buyers and service providers all in one place, as the region readies itself for storage to take off. Visit the official site for more info.

Read Next

November 27, 2025
A joint venture (JV) between EDF and developer AME has begun construction of large-scale battery and solar photovoltaic (PV) projects in Chile, with 2GWh storage capacity.
November 26, 2025
Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham marked the commencement of construction at Highview’s 300MWh liquid air energy storage facility.
November 25, 2025
There is a “healthy pipeline of projects in development” across Europe’s energy storage sector, but the technologies are as yet “significantly underutilised” below their potential.
Premium
November 24, 2025
The low prices and strict operational requirements in Italy’s recent MACSE auction for BESS have brought asset management and operational execution into the spotlight.
November 20, 2025
A year since the implementation of the initial steps in EU Batteries Regulation went into effect and the impacts are already being seen, writes Nicholas Bellini of TÜV SÜD.