China expansion & 20GWh factory for Nissan battery business’ new owners

Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on reddit
Reddit
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on email
Email
With a planned capacity of 20GWh, Envision could supply around 400,000 EVs per year. Image: wikimedia user mariordo.

The sale of Nissan’s power battery business, Automotive Energy Supply Corporation (AESC) to Envision Group has been completed, with the new owner aiming for 20GWh of annual production capacity of nickel manganese cobalt batteries in China.

Energy-Storage.news reported the sale was going ahead back in August last year, with Envision Group stepping in after original buyer, equity fund GSR, failed to put up funds in time. AESC is jointly operated by NEC Corporation through its ownership of NEC Energy Devices, a battery electrode manufacturer. Envision’s battery industry fund, Envision AESC, now holds 80% of the newly created holding company Envision AESC Group, with Nissan owning the other 20%.

“Our batteries boast a superb safety and quality record. To date, our lithium-ion batteries manufactured in Japan, the US, and Europe have been installed in over 430,000 electric vehicles with a zero rate of critical malfunction such as catching fire,” Envision AESC Group CEO Shoichi Matsumoto said.

“We intend to maintain our excellent safety and quality record while moving forward with development of next-generation batteries.”

Envision said AESC will now expand its focus from the US and Japanese markets to also include China. It has set up offices and R&D facilities in Japan, has bases in the UK and US and is now undertaking a three-phase plan to build a NMC lithium-ion battery factory in Lingang Economic Development Zone, Wuxi. With a planned capacity of 20GWh, Envision could supply around 400,000 EVs per year.

Parent company Envision Group is involved in energy internet of things (IoT) creation and has its own operating system suitable for being connected to and controlling wind, solar, EV chargers and many other resources, as well as being a manufacturer of wind turbines. Envision claims that its IoT operating system EnOS is already managing 100GW of energy assets worldwide, integrating technologies from providers including Sonnen, ChargePoint and AutoGrid.

“The integration of renewable energy, AI, IoT, and battery technology will accelerate the energy transition from fossil fuels,” Envision CEO and Envision AESC executive chairman Lei Zhang said.

“Envision will redefine the future of batteries through advanced intelligent technology.”

Read Next

May 10, 2022
Industrial battery storage systems can lower electricity costs for the facilities they are installed at, but could also help manage the cost of power for all consumers.
April 27, 2022
Ongoing supply chain challenges and the impact of Russia’s war on Ukraine have affected the quarterly revenues of LG Energy Solution.
April 14, 2022
President Joe Biden’s recent invocation of the Defense Production Act of 1950 could help solve supply chain issues, but only over the longer term. 
April 12, 2022
Global system integrator Fluence has acquired AI-enabled, renewable energy software-as-a-service provider Nispera, tripling its digital portfolio of assets contracted or managed since February to 15GW.
March 29, 2022
India will not be able to meet its aim of becoming a global leader in battery manufacturing unless it establishes a value chain that embraces recycling.

Most Popular

Email Newsletter