1,200MWh solar-plus-storage project in New South Wales receives Federal government approval

September 11, 2024
LinkedIn
Twitter
Reddit
Facebook
Email

Acen Australia’s 600MW Birriwa solar-plus-storage project in New South Wales has been granted federal approval from Tanya Plibersek, Australia’s minister for the environment and water.

The project will include a centralised battery energy storage system (BESS) with a capacity of up to 600MW/1,200MWh and a duration of 2-hours. This setup will allow the excess electricity generated by the 600MW solar PV component of the project to be stored and released during peak demand periods.

In a statement made yesterday (9 September), the government outlined that “projects like this are vital to boosting renewables capacity and putting downward pressure on prices, but they are also great for local jobs and economies”. The project will support around 500 direct jobs in construction and 20 ongoing jobs.

Acen Australia had been granted approval for the project by the New South Wales Independent Planning Commission (IPC) last month. The developer will now turn its attention to preparing for construction, including developing temporary workers’ accommodation, implementing its strategy to employ local staff where possible, and sourcing goods and services from local businesses.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

Tanya Plibersek used the progression of the project to dampen ideas surrounding the use of nuclear energy in Australia.

“Australians have a choice between a renewable energy transition that’s already underway and driving down prices, or paying for an expensive nuclear fantasy that may never happen,” Plibersek said.

You can read the full article on our sister site PV Tech.

17 March 2026
Sydney, Australia
As we move into 2026, Australia is seeing real movement in emerging as a global ‘green’ superpower, with energy storage at the heart of this. This Summit will explore in-depth the ‘exponential growth of a unique market’, providing a meeting place for investors and developers’ appetite to do business. The second edition will shine a greater spotlight on behind-the-meter developments, with the distribution network being responsible for a large capacity of total energy storage in Australia. Understanding connection issues, the urgency of transitioning to net zero, optimal financial structures, and the industry developments in 2026 and beyond.

Read Next

February 20, 2026
A flurry of BESS project news from big-name players in Western Europe in the run-up to the Energy Storage Summit next week, with Neoen, Statkraft, Zenobē and Infranode moving projects forward in Germany, Ireland, the UK and Denmark. Highlights include a 15-year toll between Drax and Zenobē, and multiple 4-hour duration systems.
February 20, 2026
Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners has submitted the 780MW second stage of its Supernode BESS to Australia’s EPBC Act process for review.
February 19, 2026
New South Wales (NSW) energy minister Penny Sharpe has directed ASL to deliver a firming capacity tender addressing forecast energy shortfalls from 2033-34.
Premium
February 19, 2026
“Australia remains a multi-gigawatt proving ground for utility-scale energy storage systems,” says Kashish Shah of Wärtsilä Energy Storage.
February 18, 2026
The US Treasury’s interim FEOC guidance has outlined “Material Assistance” provisions, which rely heavily on existing safe harbour calculations.