A 100MW battery energy storage system just announced in the UK by battery storage developer, owner and operator Zenobe Energy is the first such system to win a long-term contract from the country's transmission system operator to directly absorb reactive power from the transmission network.
Fluence will deploy Lithuania’s first grid-scale battery project, aiming to prove the advantages of using batteries as an alternative to building out expensive transmission infrastructure.
South Australia’s government has welcomed the granting of planning approval for the first phase of a AU$3 billion large-scale hybrid renewable energy project in the state’s Goyder region.
The biggest battery energy storage system (BESS) in mainland France went into operation in late January, and will provide grid-balancing services to national transmission system operator RTE.
An agreement has been signed for a 100MW / 400MWh battery storage project in Queens, New York, by utility company Con Edison and Hanwha Group-affiliated renewable energy developer 174 Power Global.
A new market for providing ancillary services to the UK’s grid has been highlighted as more valuable in its first seven weeks of operation than any other frequency response service run by the network operator, National Grid ESO.
Reports into the performance of two large-scale battery energy storage systems (BESS) in the Australian state of Victoria have been published, showing that both performed as expected, or better, in 12 months of operation.
Barriers have been removed allowing for battery storage projects five times the size as the current limit in Britain, in a move hailed as a “significant, positive and well-timed” step.
What has been described by the head of its federal regulator as the “single most important act” the US could take in smoothly transitioning to a “clean energy future” will become reality, with distributed energy storage set to join wholesale markets and compete to provide services on a "level playing field" with fossil fuel resources.
Battery software company Arenko has teamed up with National Grid ESO to provide upward and downward reserve flexibility in a "first of its kind trial".
More than 14-fold increase is forecast to 2025, from 523MW recorded in 2019, with the “sharp scale-ups” both regionally and nationally to be driven primarily by a combination of “utility procurements and the accelerating residential market,”
Britain will need at least 30GW of energy storage if it hopes to reach net zero by 2050, according to new research.
Ontario’s Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) is set to launch a demonstration of how solar panels, energy storage and customer-sited demand side response (DSR) can be used to drive down costs of the IESO’s network.
A report out today on the causes of the UK’s recent blackout, where electricity supply to 5% of National Grid’s customers was cut off “to protect the other 95%”, highlighted that 475MW of batteries were used to help bring the network back online.
Renewable energy and energy storage project developer Anesco has handed aggregator Flexitricity the keys to 19.5MW of battery assets, with the latter set to earn revenues from four different 'streams'.
UK energy market regulator Ofgem has set out a plan which would see fixed charges applied to all final demand network users irrespective of their ability to reduce their impact on the grid through generation or flexibility.
Transmission system operators in the US have begun making their moves to accommodate energy storage into their wholesale markets, with New England ISO and Southwest Power Pool both making filings in the past month.
A proposed network of high speed electric vehicle chargers and large-scale batteries connected directly to the UK's transmission network has been unveiled to offer a new business model to the country’s energy storage market.
A 2MW utility-scale battery energy storage system has been successfully built and connected for California municipal utility Glendale Water & Power (GWP).
A ‘multi-stakeholder’ approach, where different parties benefit from batteries at different times, could be the key to enabling communities to deploy grid-connected energy storage systems, DNV GL has said.
In our latest video feature, we discussed the policy and regulatory space for energy storage in the UK with two leading members of the Solar Media Energy Storage Alliance.